Filing a UCC-1 Form

You should file a UCC-1 Financing Statement with the secretary of state’s office in the state where the debtor is incorporated or located.  If the collateral is real property, then you should also file a UCC-1 with the county recorder’s office in the county where the debtor’s real property is located.

Secretaries of state have websites where you can file your UCC-1 and instructions on how to complete all forms.  Individual counties may not have websites and require you to file by mail or in person.

While there is a national UCC-1 form, some jurisdictions may have their own specific form.  Be sure to use the correct form.